Being a Pharm.D. student in Chapman University’s School of Pharmacy (CUSP) is no easy feat in its own right. Getting matched with a highly competitive residency or fellowship program upon graduating? Even harder.
But on Match Day this year, the Pharm.D. graduates’ hard work paid off as a record number of 16 graduates learned they will be heading to residency programs after graduation. In addition, another student, Courtney Wong, Pharm.D. ‘21, was matched with one of the most competitive fellowship in all of the U.S. – Merck in collaboration with Rutgers University.
In their postgraduate work, these graduates will focus on a specialty, which gives them access to many career opportunities.
Several of these graduates were part of the Pre-Pharmacy Freshman Early Assurance Program (FEAP), directed by Laura Cook, Pharm.D. This program allows high school graduates to earn their Doctor of Pharmacy degree (Pharm.D.) in only five years. After completing program prerequisites on Chapman’s Orange campus for two years, students spend three years earning their Pharm.D. at the Rinker Campus in Irvine.
There are other pathways to the Pharm.D. program as well. If students are interested in pharmacy, but not sure if they want to commit to FEAP, they can take the prerequisites at Chapman or another college, and then apply for Chapman’s three year Doctor of Pharmacy program.
Chapman’s Pharm.D. program offers many career-oriented resources, including help with all parts of students’ post-graduate applications, curriculum vitae and letter of intent reviews, mock interviews, an annual Career Showcase,and interactive faculty-led workshops. These invaluable tools help students get matched with highly competitive residency and fellowships programs on Match Day.
Future Pharmacists to Watch
- Courtney Wong (FEAP) – Merck Fellowship in Late Stage Clinical Development, Oncology in collaboration with Rutgers University – Kenilworth, New Jersey
- Michael Adams – Providence Regional Medical Center – Everett, Washington
- Mona Alas (FEAP) – CHI Franciscan St. Joseph Medical Center – Tacoma, Washington
- Jenna Griffin – VA Medical Center – Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Michelle Grace Guerrero – Providence Alaska Medical Center – Anchorage, Alaska
- Eileen Hsaio (FEAP) – Kindred Hospital – La Mirada, California
- Sarah Kantari – UCI Health – Orange, California
- Analise Klassen (FEAP) – Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center – Spokane, Washington
- Yu-Hsin Cindy Lin – Kindred Hospital – La Mirada, California
- Katie Ma (FEAP) – County of Santa Clara Health System – San Jose, California
- Danny H. Pham – UCI Health – Orange, California
- Jay Rho – Southern Arizona VA Healthcare System – Tucson, Arizona
- Nadine Saab – USC School of Pharmacy – Los Angeles, California
- Caroline Sun (FEAP) – VA Northern California Health System – Mather, California
- Brianne Venrick – St. Luke’s Healthcare System – Boise, Idaho
- Avani Kathuria ’20 (FEAP) – Safeway and Midwestern College of Pharmacy – Phoenix, Arizona
- Arthur Avensov ’19 (FEAP) – PIH Hospital – Whittier, California