A former church undermined by age and termites before it was restored by Chapman University has won a preservation award from the
Old Towne Preservation Association
The Spirit of Old Towne Award was awarded to Chapman for the makeover of the former Mennonite Pilgrim Church at 145 W. Sycamore. Built in 1919, the church underwent extensive renovation and was transformed into a residence, and is one of
several homes available for rent
to faculty and staff. The project also included the restoration of the adjoining parsonage, which also serves as a University rental.
The award was accepted by Ken Murai, director of campus design, at the 19
Annual Preservation Awards Dinner Gala on Sunday, May 3.
In addition, the new Digital Media Arts Center (DMAC) was nominated in the category of Plaza City Award. The
design of the DMAC
, located on North Cypress Street, incorporates multiple elements of the former industrial building on the site.