Thanksgiving Day may look different for all of us this year around, but one thing you don’t have to scale back on is the turkey you eat!
To help you get started on your Thanksgiving Day cooking, Working@Chapman brings you this exclusive sage roasted turkey with bourbon butter sauce recipe, courtesy of Sodexo Executive Chef Jim Douglas.
Douglas reimagines the traditional turkey by adding a twist to the gravy. His bourbon butter sauce takes the ordinary Thanksgiving Day turkey and infuses it with flavor, richness and depth. “Food is my passion and I’m happy to share a family recipe to make your Thanksgiving unforgettable,” said Douglas.
1 turkey (10-12 pounds)
1 spanish onion (quartered)
2 ribs celery
4 oz fresh sage
4 fl oz olive oil
1 tbsp each of salt & pepper
Bourbon Butter Sauce
4 cups turkey stock & drippings
2 tbsp butter
1 shallot (minced)
½ cup flour
3 tbsp chopped sage
6 oz bourbon
2 tbsp butter
- Chop 4 oz fresh sage and combine with listed olive oil to form a paste. Rub sage paste. inside and out. Season turkey with salt and pepper.
- Fill turkey cavity with roughly chopped listed vegetables.
- Roast turkey about 2 ½ hours until juices run clear, then let it rest for 20 minutes.
- For the sauce, melt first (2 tbsp) listed butter. Saute shallot until soft.
- Add flour and stock. Whisk until thickened.
- Add bourbon and simmer to cook off alcohol.
- Remove from heat and whisk in remaining butter (2 tbsp).
- Carve turkey and enjoy with bourbon sage sauce.