Page updated as of April 6, 8:30 p.m.
To suggest changes to this page, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Budget Town Hall Available Online
Faculty and staff may now view a recording of the Budget Town Hall conducted by President Daniele C. Struppa and senior staff on Thursday, April 2. Use your Chapman credentials to log in and view the Budget Town Hall.
What You Need to Know About Preventing Zoom Bombers
While zoom-bombings can happen to anyone, the good news is that you can minimize the risk with the right precautions and by enforcing stricter settings on meetings. Staff who are using Zoom for meeting can take a few simple steps to prevent this type of occurrence from disrupting their course meetings. Learn how at Chapman’s Higher Ed and Technology blog.
On Thursday, March 19, Governor Gavin Newsom ordered all individuals living in the State of California to stay home or at their place of residence in an effort to slow the statewide spread of the novel coronavirus. On Friday, March 20, Chapman received clear direction from the State of California that higher education is identified as an essential service within this executive order. The guidance states that educators supporting public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing other essential functions—if operating under rules for social distancing—can continue to perform essential functions.
Effective April 7, 2020, at 2:00 pm the list of essential services needed on the campuses is as follows:
- Custodial Services (reduced personnel as identified by the Vice President)
- Facilities Management (reduced personnel as identified by the Vice President)
- Financial and Legal Services (reduced personnel as identified by the Vice Presidents and Controller; only allowed onsite when processing necessary receivables/payables and managing deliveries). Individual department staff who have been scheduling time in the office to process payments should suspend that activity until April 21, 2020.
- Food Services (limited to students in residential halls and only for as long as students remain in Chapman housing. They are also providing meals for on-site essential staff)
- Groundskeeping Services (reduced personnel as identified by the Vice President)
- Mail Services (reduced personnel as identified by the Vice President)
- Payroll Services (reduced personnel; only allowed onsite when running payroll/printing paychecks)
- Public Safety
- Research Activities (limited to research that cannot go unattended or neglected as this would lead to an unrecoverable loss of data or irreparable harm to equipment, endangerment of animals, or other specimens)
- Residence Life and First Year Experience (only for as long as students remain in Chapman housing)
- Student Health Services (both Counseling Center and Health Center services and only for as long as students remain in Chapman housing)
- Vivarium and Aviary Operations (only for as long as necessary to provide critical animal care)
- Should circumstances require onsite IS&T response (database, systems or Help Desk), these employees will be dispatched to the campus only with the authorization of the Chief Information Officer.
All other services are to switch to a remote working environment no later than Tuesday, April 7, 2020, at 2:00 pm. If you need to retrieve personal effects or work materials from your office, please do so before this time. After 2:00 pm on Tuesday, April 7th, building access will be restricted to assist in compliance with the stay-at-home order.
As the situation changes, the Chapman community will be advised and this site will be updated.
- The physical campus is operating on a limited basis with only essential services as described above.
- Please do not schedule or attend in-person meetings. We have provided several options, such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom, to facilitate online meetings.
Staff Webcast Available
If you missed the Monday, March 16, coronavirus update hosted for staff by President Struppa, the webcast is archived and available for viewing on Microsoft Teams. Access requires a Chapman email address and password.
Human Resources Information
On Sunday, March 15, Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer Brian Powell sent all Chapman staff additional information concerning:
- Campus operations
- Essential services
- Remote work guidance
Details regarding these topics and other information from Human Resources may be found within the Emergency Preparedness Plan: COVID-19 (coronavirus). This manual is updated frequently to reflect any changes.
For information on reporting work hours, read How to Report Work Time During Fully Remote Environment.
Remote Work Resources
To prepare for remote work, Information Systems & Technology (IS&T) has provided numerous resources via its webpages. These include:
- How to set up a virtual private network (VPN) for establishing a secure connection to Chapman’s many online services
- Options for free at-home internet service being offered by some commercial provider
- How to forward your office phone to another number
- More resources as available
What can employees do if their child’s school is closed and they have to stay home?
There are existing policies in place for employees to use their leave and sick time to stay home and care for children. Additionally, the California Kin Care law provides employees with the ability to use half of their sick leave for the care of a family member. Employees should also talk to their supervisors about alternative work options.
Will staff be given a Chapman computer/laptop if they’re required to work remotely?
While we have ordered additional laptops, not every employee will receive one. If required to work remotely, employees will be instructed on how to use their own devices to complete their work. We are developing a prioritization list to distribute Chapman devices.
Is Chapman continuing to hire new employees?
Currently, we are not hiring any new employees.
Stay Up to Date With Chapman Communications
Please return to this page for updates concerning the coronavirus. Additionally, information specifically for staff members will be released via email and in Working@Chapman email newsletter on Mondays and Wednesdays.